Tuesday, March 31, 2009

MY SPRING BREAK

During Spring Break I went up to a town in my state near Mesa Verde. I went to go skiing, and it was awesome.

The skiing on Thursday was super amazing. It snowed, and by the time we got onto the mountain the powder was up to our knees! It was kind of like being in a snowglobe: the clouds blanketed the mountain and it was all misty and dark, and the snowflakes were gigantic! There was no wind whatsoever, so the flakes just fell straight down onto the trees, coating our jackets and bibs. By the time we got to the top of the mountain from the ski lift (which took about fifteen minutes), we'd be covered in an inch of snow! We took multiple runs, one of which was a black diamond and two of which were blues, that were AMAZING. The lift we were on was farther away from the whole ski area, so there weren't nearly as many people in the lift line (well... it wasn't even really a line, haha. There were no other people!) and therefore we were skiing on unmarked snow. Now, I'm a pretty good skiier but not great, and the paths we took through the trees were pretty challenging for me. Powder is amazing if you hit it just right: you float on the snow, feeling like you're flying. I had a few moments of this, but a lot of my time was spent trying to keep my right ski from getting caught in deeper snow than my left was in, causing me to wipe out. It was very tiring for my legs, but the gorgeous views of the mountain and the comfy, sheltered feeling I got underneath the trees, the cloud blanket, and the falling snow made it totally worth it. My dad and I wound our way through the forest, making our own tracks and going whichever way we felt like: no matter which we went, we could still make it down to the lift. We then relaxed on the chair, reveling in the muffled hush of the snowfall.




We also went to Mesa Verde which was sooooooo amazingly awesome. I'm only supposed to describe one place, so I'll put a picture to let you see for yourself:


This pic is of Cliff Palace, BTW!

Amazing, I know. Inconceivably incredible.

4 comments:

  1. Hold on a second! Is this Marfiscala? Oh My Gosh! HELLO!
    lol.
    LoLa.
    check out the blog sometime
    www.madisonpolansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi this is blondie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've thought about taking my family to Mesa Verde during the summer. Do you think they would enjoy it? Are there things to do there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I would recommend going there, especially during the summer. You get to take a tour and climb through a bunch of tunnels to go into the ruins. They're literally carved into the side of cliffs so I've heard it's pretty intense. I went during the winter and it was really cold and you couldn't go on tours, but I still thought it was really awesome.

    ReplyDelete