Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I <3 U!!

I love...
1. My horse, Lady. She's so stoic, and kind of goes with the flow. I love going out in the barn and brushing her. Just this simple act puts me in a much better mood. She's so big (almost 17 hands now!) that she seems like an anchor, an unmovable source of strength in my life. :) Also, of course, I love riding her. She's sooo gorgeous to watch and is even more amazing to ride. Sometimes, when she's in the right mood, cantering on her english is like floating. You can barely even feel her feet touch the ground.
2. Daisy Duke, my little yellow baby. (The only reason she's second is because I haven't had her as long!) She's so cute! I know that sounds really cliche, but she is. She's got little tiny feet and is like a little barbie doll with all her blankets on. (She was kept in a heated barn and doesn't have any hair, so we have to put four blankets and two slinkies on her...!) And the way she will follow you around trying to see if you have a treat for her is so funny. I can't wait to show her (well, both of them...) in the spring!
3. Days when I'm hyper. Days when I feel like I could run forever and never get tired, like I no longer feel the effects of gravity. If I was manic-depressive, these would be my manic days. I feel like I can accomplish anything and can barely contain my excitement for the future. These days aren't overly common, so I try to appreciate them as they come.
4. The first spring days after a long, cold winter
This kind of ties in with above: if there's a day I'm going to be hyper, it's going to be on a warm day where you can just feel the energy of spring in the air. Absolutely no wind: I hate the wind with a passion. Well, I guess there could be a slight breeze but not enough to really be noticeable. You can go outside without...gasp... wearing eighteen layers and still being freezing! Doing things outside doesn't have to be a huge undertaking- if you feel like going on a bike ride or something, you just pull on a pair of shoes and go.
5. When it snows but isn't cold or windy
Ha ha... this is like the opposite of what I just put above. I guess, thinking about it, I like any change in the season. I'm glad of spring when I'm tired of winter, but then glad for fall when I'm tired of the heat of summer. I guess I live in a good state for that, considering the huge range of temperatures here in Colorado. With the snow one above, this is the kind of snow when the flakes are like feathers. They're huge, and fall down so slowly that the world seems like a snowglobe. Everything is silent, but there's also...almost... a sound, too. Ha ha, yeah, another contradiction, but it's kind of hard to describe. It's like the sound of falling water muted way, way, down. I guess you'd describe it as a hush? Well, I'm sure I'm sure I've lost some readers, but others who live where it snows a lot must know what I mean. Yeah, the sound of silence.
I remember one day when it was snowing and I got a wild hair to go out in the snow. I don't remember if I was taking pictures or what, but I wanted to go outside. I happened to be wearing pajamas at the time, but was too lazy to change clothes. So I put my snowboots and and went out. It was snowing the feathery flakes I mentioned earlier on top of the three or so feet that had already accumulated. All the fields around were a perfect, unbroken white, because no one had gone out and walked in it yet. As I stood, marveling at how gorgeous the world around me was, I wasn't even cold. It was, as stated before, the closest I'm sure I'll ever get to standing in a snowglobe.
6. Horses when they're lying down
Yes, this is an odd one! To be continued...

3 comments: